Junior Scholars Fellowship
The Centre of Theology, Philosophy and Media Theory is an emerging, international research institute standing at the crossroad of the three disciplines. The centre thus offers an opportunity for the research and scholarly debate transcending the borders of individual disciplines. Institutionally, it is incorporated within a body of the Catholic Theological Faculty, Charles University located in the city of Prague. Our centre is committed to the highest standards in critical academic research and teaching. Recently, the centre has been awarded the Primus research grant of the Charles University for emerging scholars. This allows us to open visiting fellowships for junior scholars and thus enable them to pursue their individual research projects while working as a member of the centre’s international and multidisciplinary academic community.
POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP
The Junior Research Fellowship aims to foster research at the intersection of contemporary theology, philosophy and media theory. Particularly, we offer a research position within the framework of our research program “Christianity after Christendom: Paradoxes of “Theological Turns” in Contemporary Culture”. This program aims to be an original contribution towards building a new platform of dialogue between postmodern culture and theological thinking and its focus is on the exploration, analysis and critique of culturally and theologically relevant turns such as the return of the religious, the theological turn in continental philosophy, the media turn, etc. The fellowship is open to theologians, philosophers, media scholars and all related academic researchers in the humanities and social sciences. However, applicants’ projects should preferably deal with media theory in relation to other above mentioned perspectives.
Post-doctoral/doctoral fellows will be invited to spend 6 month at the Centre of Theology, Philosophy and Media Theory in order to perform and publish high-quality research within the framework of the research project “Christianity after Christendom.” Selected fellow will also be encouraged to teach one course topically related to his/her own research profile (in English). Appointed candidate will receive 25 500 CZK (approx. 1000 EUR, gross) per month to cover accommodation, living expenses, travel and any incidental costs related to their stay in Prague. The centre will provide the fellow with standard equipped office space, access to the internet (the administrative staff of the centre also offers assistance with finding suitable accommodation and all administration due to relocation). The fellow will take on academic roles within the centre and its activities.
- candidate must currently pursue a doctoral degree or have recently obtained a Ph.D. (2012 and later) in theology, philosophy, media theory, or in any related discipline in the humanities
- candidate must be proficient in written and spoken English
- candidate must not be older than 35
Candidates are invited to submit an application composed of:
- A concise research proposal (max. 8000 characters) containing:
- Research question addressed within the “Christianity after Christendom” project.
- Research goals and expected results
- Work and time plan
- a complete CV, including a list of publications and the summary of dissertation
- one letter of recommendation by scholar familiar with the applicant’s academic work.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION
March 24, 2018
- Please send the complete application to Dr. František Štěch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The fellow is selected by the jury of experts.
- All applicants will be notified about the jury’s decision by the end of April 2018.
- Please send the application in English and in PDF format.